Friday, January 26, 2007

The Joy Of Work Done In Secret

After my first child was born I clearly discerned God’s voice telling me to go home. I suddenly realized that most of my needs were met not by God, but by the people outside of my home who patted me on the back for all my work in “ministry”. This call to go home felt like a call to be invisible. My immediate reaction was astonishment. To put this into better context, I received this revelation not when pursuing employment outside the home. I was already a stay-at-home mom. This was a call for my ministry to be to those living within my home. At this time that meant my husband and my son. Who was going to affirm me? Immediately I was reminded of the time Jesus was telling his followers that people had a choice they could do their work to be applauded by men, or it could be done in secret and applauded by God. Work done to the glory of God alone, not for my own glory.

Six years later I have found more joy than I could have ever dreamed. Our Father created all things well. His ways are not just better, but far surpass our ways. I confess that in the beginning I thought this secret work was preparation for another work, but now I see this work is the work. There may come a day when He has other work, but it will not be superior to this work done in my home it will just be an extension of our home. I praise God for his mercy in opening my eyes.

No comments: